During a meditation several years after developing Reiki, Mikao Usui decided to add the Reiki Ideals to the practice of Reiki. Their purpose is to help people realize that healing the spirit by consciously deciding to improve oneself is a necessary part of the Reiki healing experience. In order for the Reiki healing energies to have lasting results, the client must accept responsibility for her or his healing and take an active part in it. Therefore, the Usui system of Reiki is more than the use of the Reiki energy. It must also include an active commitment to improve oneself in order for it to be a complete system. The ideals are both guidelines for living a gracious life and virtues worthy of practice for their inherent value.
The 5 Reiki Principles are as follows:
1. Just for today, I will not be angry.
2. Just for today, I will not worry.
3. Just for today, I will give thanks for my many blessings.
4. Just for today I will do my work honestly.
5. Just for today, I will be kind to every living thing.
The principles have been more recently paraphrased to read:
- I release angry thoughts and feelings.
- I release thoughts of worry.
- I’m grateful for my many blessings.
- I practice expanding my consciousness.
- I’m gentle with all beings including myself.